BELIEVE

Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday November 17 (Evening)

So Zach made the transition to the regular vent and did so beautifully. Now the hope is to come off of Nimbex which is the paralytic. It will be nice to see him moving and blinking his beautiful blue eyes. We had a few bumps in the road today I completely believe it is a sedation issue not really related to the vent switch. Zach has been very sensitive to any changes but especially to medication changes. Today after switching from the vent we put him back on the Ativan and increased his Fentanyl, needless to say Zach dropped his blood pressure. We were able to get it back up by decreasing his meds. again and giving him a fluid bolus. He stabilized and pressure was back to normal. His meds. were then increased to the same level once again with the exact same effect. So another fluid bolus was given and med were decreased again. We are finally stable again but lost some ground with all of the fluid we removed over the last 36 hours, very disappointing to me. I really feel 18L of fluid is having some impact on him, for now we aren't removing anymore fluid on dialysis to keep him stable. It is such a balancing act and after sitting in this room for a little over two weeks and watching every change it is easy to see what works and what doesn't. Big changes dont work. He is still making progress and I am so proud of him. I was suctioning his mouth a short time ago and he actually pulled his head from me not once but twice. I was so excited to see the effort on his behalf to pull away. He is amazingly strong and continues to prove his strength over and over again. So for now his vital signs are stable and he is holding strong on the vent. We are hoping for a peaceful night without any big changes or bumps in the road. It was a long day for him he worked hard today. We are making little bits of progress its like two steps forward and three steps back. It truly is enough to drive you crazy.

Reading these blogs keeps all of going everyday! I cant wait to hear what Zach has to say about all of the blogs I have read to him and what an inspiration they have been to him. Thank you so much to each of you. You all are uplifting.

Ronda

5 comments:

  1. Ronda & family,

    Our hearts and prayers are with all of you, and will continue to be. You and your family have a tremendous support network; know that you are loved by so many!

    Thank you for blogging; it helps us all to know how we can pray for Zach, the doctors, and all of you.

    The Fink family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach,
    You are doing amazing! Keep fighting. I'm praying for you all the time. We all miss you and can't wait for you to get better.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear everyone,
    For the past few weeks, Chris and I, along with many others have been praying for Zach!! We continue day and night to pray for him and will not stop! This sounds so cliche but, God never gives you more than you can handle. He may put you through a struggle, like a tug of war, but keeping the faith and strength will allow you all to make it through this!
    Our thoughts and prayers,
    Chris and Amy Douglass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zach, Rhonda and family,

    Our church is praying for Zach and his recovery. Even though we do not know this young man, God does; and it is He who is always in control. Please know all of us at NSMC care about you!

    Penny Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ronda, Zach and family, My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Zach I pray for you on a daily basis more than once. You are a strong young man and you are going to pull through this. If you are anything like your mom you will be up and about in no time. Ronda, GOD is with you and he would never give you more than you can handle, remember that. I am so glad you have this blog- I ask about you and Zach on a daily basis. I am with you through this. If you need ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to call 303-704-5184 or e-mail me, mamacardenas@comcast.net. I plan on reading this daily to check on you- just like I do at work. luv to you, Zach and family.

    Lisa Cardenas

    ReplyDelete