So Zach has 1 WBC!!!!!! I don" think I have ever been so excited for something so minute yet so astronomically huge. So last night things were very bleak and the one thing I made a deal with Dr. Kinnard was complete honesty despite how horrible it might be. He took Tony and I aside last night and explained how unsure he was that he would make it through the night. I listened to the fear in his words and grew strength from that. I went to talk with Zach after the news to reassure him he is in the driver’s seat and I am just his co-pilot but that he has a whole bus load of passengers that are keeping the bus going even when we have to pick it up and carry it for a stretch. So we may be bumping along with a flat right now, this uphill journey is not over. He is amazingly strong and is certainly being challenged by a beastly challenge right now. One I believe he can overcome given time. The whole thing has taught me a patience I have never had. I expect change immediately and have really struggled with the ups and downs of this journey. Our situation is a sticky one right now and the strength within continues to beat the beast down.
Medically speaking, Zach is on the osc. vent. with nitric oxide assisting his lung function and maintaining 95% on and fio2 of 55%. His platelet count today is 10. His hct and b/p dropped considerably yesterday which called for a rapid infusion of FFP, PRBC and PLTs. He has not been transfused yet this am, but will be soon. His INR came down to 1.6 could be due to Vi.t K he has been getting IV. LFT's still look good today no changes there. His b/p remains stable right now but he is on two pressers aiding with this stability. He has been on and off those several occasions mainly vasopressin but I am confident he will wean off of these as well. His color looks better with his bili has really remained the same in the 40's. We had him off of paralytic for a couple days while he was on the other vent. He was moving his head back and forth and had some muscle twitching in his biceps; he was showing us his big guns. So that is really it for right now. Keep the prayers coming as I know you will. I will put an update later today right now we are holding as stable as can be.
My sister-in-law is arranging a blood drive through Bonfils and I will post on how to do that as soon as I know more. You can donate in Zach’s name whether you are his blood type or not and he will get the types that match all other donations will be made in his name for others who may need your type.
Ronda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yeah for 1 wbc! rhonda, you are not alone in your excitement for this! i have been asking everyone i possibly can for their prayers today... it is amazing to know that people who don't even know zach are pulling for him and sending all their prayers and good vibes to him. it's so nice that you are taking the time to update all of us with zach's changes. i know that i am hitting refresh on this page numerous times per hour. i am really optimistic and i think he is fighting this so hard for a reason. i am a+ blood type, so not a match, but i will still donate as soon as i know the details of how i can do this for him. it's reassuring to hear that he's hanging in there and i know that things are going to start getting better slowly, but they will.... all in time.
ReplyDeleteall my love and prayers,
alana
RHONDA,
ReplyDeleteWHO WOULD OF EVER THOUGHT WE WOULD GET SO EXCITED OVER 1 WBC. ITS JUST THE FIRST OF MANY MORE TO COME. IM SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT HE HAD TO GET MORE BLOOD PRODUCTS. MY PRAYERS AND LOVE HUGS ARE STILL BEING SENT YOUR WAY.
MICHELLE.
We are praying for your family and for Zach.
ReplyDeleteFriends at WWA!
Dear Ficco Family,
ReplyDeletePiper and Tanner have been in school together for a few years now and she has brought home some of the updates from Tanner. I'd just like you to know that we are thinking of you and will keep your family close in our hearts and prayers. Stay strong, Zach sounds like an amazing young man.
The Longenbohn Family
Woodrow Wilson
Ronda and Tony,
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of all the people praying for Zach, I think of Jim Carrey in the movie "Bruce Almighty" when God takes a vacation and leaves Jim Carrey in charge. When all the prayers start coming in, he is overwhelmed and can't even think....that's how I envision all our prayers going up to the Father now. Eventually, He's just going to say "okay, okay, yes!!!"
Ronda,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Lisa, and I've left a couple of comments before. I spoke with a friend of mine, and she suggested called the local news affiliates, as they could put the word out on TV, and talk about the blood drive through Bonfils. It would cast a much wider net, and I can't think of a reason they wouldn't be happy to do it. Just a thought... We are all praying for you and Zach and sending good energy.
Take care,
Lisa
Ronda,
ReplyDeleteI called Channel Seven to ask if they do announcements for blood drives, and the woman I spoke to said they do sometimes. She said you should call the newsroom, and their number is 303-832-0200.
Lisa
Ronda,
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU for the wonderfully huge news of 1 WBC!!!! What an amazing thing! I am so happy to hear of the hope and joy something so small can bring so many people and of the absolute thrill you and your family must be feeling! I have children, much smaller ones, and I can't imagine the agony of sitting next to them, holding their hands and asking them to fight. And having the courage to ask everyone around you do the same. You and your family are so brave and wonderful for all you are doing right now!!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!
Keep fighting Zach!! You have so many people pulling for you!! We all miss you!
Dear Rhonda and Family,
ReplyDeleteYour diligent blogging has allowed all of us to follow along with you...hope you are receiving the support we are all feeling in our hearts and minds! Rhonda, I just met you a few months ago when I started at NSUB in August but please know I am thinking of you and Zach and your whole family! I worked 2.5 years in Hem/Onc and have seen this struggle time and again with my patients and their familes, and it is difficult beyond words.
Stay strong, and believe anything is possible because it is!
For Zach: "those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."
Very Best,
Michelle Steiner, PA-C
Zach- You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Yes, prayers. I know you are laughing right now thinking that lightning is going to strike me down! You're worth the risk! You have touched all our lives with your strength of spirit and big heart. Keep fighting! We all miss you so much. To Zach's family- I hope you know how much love and support we are sending all of you.
ReplyDeleteMo
I was so down all day today after Sherilyn had called last night & said that things looked pretty bad. I got home in late afternoon & couldn't wait to read the blog.
ReplyDeleteWas I ever happy to hear that things were looking up again.
You have an amazing son there & he is a strong fighter. He is giving this all he's got.
We are praying for all of you & we have contacted so many people to pray also.
GOD IS GOOD, as some have said he only gives us what we can handle. Sometimes we wonder what he is doing. But we must trust him totally.
Love you all, Aunt Marilyn & Uncle Lou
Michelle- I love your post "those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it!!" That should be our theme!!! Steffush!!!- know your text baby! To the Family of Zach...always in our thoughts, prayers and tears...C.
ReplyDeleteRhonda and family;
ReplyDeleteGosh Rhonda I have been praying for you and your family ever since I found out Zach was in the hospital. Zach is on my church's prayer chain and I am so hoping for the best. Just know I am thinking of you and praying for you!!
Julie Bell-Walker
Hi Ficco Family,
ReplyDeleteI have been reading your blog and praying for all of you! My heart goes out to you...my family has been through a similar experience. I will pray for you each day!
Janet Corzine
WWA