Good Morning. I did not sleep much last night as you can see by my all night blogging. Zach did fairly well last night until this morning when x-ray came in to do his chest films. His b/p was borderline low for him and the movement caused his b/p to drop tremendously again. He does not like x-ray in the morning. We have a "new nurse" today which always brings uncertainties for me. He is so particular and any little thing and certain little things throw him off balance. It is so frustrating. He was off pressers since early last night and a simple x-ray caused his b/p to drop to 80/39. I want his Mean to stay above 60 without a doubt because his blood o2 levels are not in the 90's since his incident a couple days ago. I want to have complete success with his recovery and most importantly his brain and organ function. I will spend the day keeping a close eye on everything. As I mentioned before the nurses here are wonderful but he does not function as a nurse would anticipate, he likes to throw twists and turns at you. He is unpredictably- predictable. So When I know more on labs and what the Dr's have to say I will let you know. Have a great day everyone!
Ronda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Ronda-
ReplyDeleteI donated blood on Sunday. Still waiting to find out what blood type I am so I'm not sure it will go to Zach but it was definitly made in his name. First time and it wasn't so scary after all :).
I'm so amazed by how strong you are staying. As things go up and down, you are still as strong, stubborn, and stoic as ever. Hang in there. I can't wait until everyone can tell Zach just what a badass he has for a mother! Thank you for being so inspirational throughout all of this.
I don't know your email address but mine is bethany.pendleton@gmail.com...just if you're ever bored at 3am again :). Take care of yourself and know that there are thousands of people cheering Zach and your family on!
-Bethany
Zach
ReplyDeleteJust a funny little story that should make you laugh...Remember when we were in the supply pyxis room up in the MICU, just chatting as we stocked up on supplies for our patient..I go to leave the room and I stop by the door to finish our conversation. One second I am leaning against the wall, cool and upright, and then BAM!, I'm on the floor, garbage can knocked over next to me. Your reaction is one of the many things that makes people appreciate you. I mean I fell, hard, from standing position. (Damn Danskos!). It was incredibly funny. I was doing that laughing/crying mix because regardless of how funny that was, it hurt like hell. I am sure you wanted to burst out laughing, because it was obvious that I was going to be ok, but you had a look of genuine concern and said "Oh my god Kari, are you ok?" I could barely answer because the pain had ceased, and now I was in histerics. Within a few seconds, a smile appeared on your face, and then we were both just laughing. Anyways, I hope this makes you laugh, in my despense. And I am okay with that because you cared first and laughed second. I appreciated that. I know you can feel all the love and support around you and all the thoughts and prayers from DHMC because your mother is "cool as hell" (Thanks Dawn for that very well-written post) and she has been keeping you very up to date. Many times a day, I think of you and your family and I continue to root for you Zach. I don't know if I have the same blood type as you, but I donated some blood on Sunday, in hopes. I hope your day is peaceful.
Kari RN @ DHMC in MICU
Ronda-
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to tell you how amazed I am of your ability to be so gracious at such a challenging time. It exemplifies an extremely admirable characteristic that many of human kind often times push to the wayside. You, however, have managed to take the time to individually thank all of the people who have you and your family in their thoughts. It is really the least we can do. I LOVE to read everything you have to say about Zach and I only hope to have a son as great as Zach one day. I wanted to thank YOU for raising a beautiful and honorable young man. As one of the hardest tasks in life (according to my mother), you have succeeded and for that you should be very proud. Thank you for taking the time out of your constantly stressed state to acknowledge all of the good that people are doing. I hope your night with Zach is calm and peaceful!
Kari
RN in the MICU at DHMC
Zach...I have been thinking about what I want to say to you for days now and have decided to just "go for it"...
ReplyDeleteYou have always held a special place in my heart. Walking in the MICU and seeing you at the morning meeting was always nice, I knew that my day would be a little more fun because you were around.
But more importantly Zach, I enjoyed being around you because you are exactly the kind of person I want both of my little boys to turn out like. I want them to have kind hearts, to treat all people with respect. I want them to find joy in life, to smile easily and often. I want them to love easily, to find meaningful relationships with people in all different times and places of their lives. I want them to be smart and inquisitive, to have goals and work towards them diligently. I want them to love their family, to find comfort in those around them who love them. My wants for them go on and on. But Zach, if they turn out anything like you I will be a lucky parent.
I will always remember your last day in the unit. You waited for me so we could walk out together and when we got to the parking lot we hugged and said how much we would miss working together. I remember thinking about how impressive you were. You were so young, but seemed to have it all figured out. You had just bought a house, started school and committed to caring for Bruce. You seemed so "old" yet had your entire life in front of you. You were and continue to be an inspiration to all of us. I am so proud to be able to call you my friend and you are in my thoughts constantly. Stay strong my friend!
All my love
Cat
Hi Ronda,
ReplyDeleteThis is Uncle David and Sam. We've been praying for all of you. We've asked all our friends to pray for Zach, you and the rest of the family too. We appreciate the blog so we can keep up with all that is going on. You're showing amazing strength in the face of all you are going through. Please tell Zach that we love him and we are sending positive thoughts his way. We love you all.
Love and prayers,
Uncle David and Sam
Its Thanksgiving time and it is a time for all of us to reflect. I have been thinking about you a lot these past weeks and I realized Zach I never thanked you and I am so happy I have this forum to do so. Thanks Ronda for giving us all the opportunity to be able to do this. I remember when I first started on the MICU, I was a new nurse, scared to death and oh so intimated by my surroundings. I remember you were one of the first people to come up and introduce yourself and offer your help. I so appreciated that but what I really wanted to thank you for was there was a day that I was practically in tears, just thinking that I was a failure at nursing and you calmly came in to help me out and told me not to worry that I was doing a good job. And that just meant the world to me and I thank you for that because I respected your opinion so much that I thought I will be okay. It was those minor gestures that I saw daily from you with your interactions with everyone from patients to coworkers that I knew you were a special person and I could learn a lot from you. And even though, our paths only crossed for a short time, I feel lucky that it did. And I wish I had Zach in Boston because I am still scared everyday. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Keep fighting and stay strong.
ReplyDeleteAnd I would like to thank you Ronda for keeping us all updated during such a stressful time. Your strength is truly inspirational. Take care
Deanna
Hi Ronda & Zach & family,
ReplyDeleteThis is Dionne, one of the nurses Zach works with in the ED, and I just wanted to share a few funnies with you from my blood donation.
I went to donate blood today... I know I'm A-, but coming from Canada, and it being a long time since I've donated, I've been "archived" and thus unable to get a new card...
Anyways, I warned the tech before she took my vitals, that yes, my HR and BP run low. That said, she still took my BP 3 times before she sent me outside to walk around the mall for 10 minutes. Her first reading was 78/52. Yes, I have a pulse, honest. I laughed, it's a little low, even for me, but also because it's right around where Zach's been hanging out too. (What pressor would they start me on?) After the walk it was finally 92/60.
It was humbling to be on the receiving end of a 14g needle. Man that thing is big. But in comparison to what you are all going through, it's a pinprick.
Ronda, you inspire me. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I pray for you every day, that your perseverance stays steady, and that Zach is never shy of feeling your unending love.
I hope if I have a son, he might turn out like Zach or his brothers. Your strength is drawn from a Source that has no end. It is in your weakness that you find how truly unending that is. Don't ever be afraid to ask for help, we love you all and want to show you any way we can!
Zach, keep fighting buddy! You are such a kind and gentle spirit, I've enjoyed working with you since day one. I pray for you every day, that God has His hand upon you, and is guiding you, your doctors, nurses and everyone else on this path. You've trained your whole life for this challenge, and you will look back on it soon, grin, and ask, "what's next?"
I'm bringing a ton of food up on Thursday, to inspire you to get better. I will dangle it in front of you if your nurse lets me :) The tube feed thing has got to be getting old-have you ever read what they put in it?
Thank you for your strength, courage and tenderness, and honesty. It's inspiring.
Your faithful sister in Christ,
Dionne
Rhonda,
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to write on the blog for quite some time now, but I never knew what to say. I want you to know that Zach and all of your family are in my prayers everyday. I only know Zach as a co-worker but he has touched my heart. It is incredible to see how far he has come and I believe that he can make it through this time. I work at another local hospital in town and have sent out a department wide email about Zach asking for prayers and donations for blood no matter their type. It is amazing to see the response from my fellow co-workers who do not even know who Zach is. Your son is in everyone's thoughts and in all our prayers. I wanted to leave you with a verse that has always comforted me. Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will help you and strengthen you. I will uphold you with my righeous right hand."
Zach,
Keep fighting! We are all praying and fighting with you. You are not alone! I will be bringing you some homemade stuffing today! So hang in there and I can't wait to see you at work again.
Ronda,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know we are ALL praying for you and your family to keep up your strength and not give up.
This is a very difficult time for you and I appreciate the kindness you have shown our family in allowing us to be a help to you and Zach. Thank you, it has really meant a great deal to my grandparents.
We will continue to pray each and every day for Zach's recovery. Thank you for this website also, it allows everyone to be a part of this and brings some comfort each day to those of us on the outside. We love you and continue to support you in any way we can.
Zach, I hope today is better and more comfortable for you. You are such a strong and amazing person! Stay strong and keep fighting with all that you've got! I am still thinking and praying for you constantly. Much love to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteAlana
Rhonda, Zach, and family
ReplyDeleteI hope today brings you a peaceful day. I wanted to let you know that you are in mine and my family's prayers. I can not imagine what you are going through but your strength is inspirational. I have not had the opportunity to meet Zach but from the blogs it sounds like he has a lot in common with Rhonda and that is a wonderful thing. I wish you good news today and keep fighting.
God bless you
Deb
Zach-We have never met but I have been told what a great person that you are. I just want you to know that You are in my prayers. There are alot of us here at Kaiser Permanente pulling for you. Good luck and get well soon.
ReplyDeleteBeverly Forrest
Your mom has been keeping us informed on your progress and your ups and downs. What she's written recently that has stuck in my head is that your swelling is going down and those cheekbones have started to reappear. Speaking for the rest of the cougars (and young jaguars) here in the ED, we want to see that handsome face back here ASAP. We aren't getting any younger you know!!!
ReplyDeleteOn a more serious but just as true note....
I'm thinking and praying for you and your family constantly. You can and you will beat this. We all miss you in the hospital and not a lot of us got to hang outside of work and we want that to change.... So make it happen!!!
Renee
Hello to you Ronda
ReplyDeleteI am a nurse in the SICU at Denver Health; please know that this week we will all give thanks for having the opportunity to have Zach in our lives. We send our prayers and positive healing vibes to you and Zach. We know how gentle and sweet Zach is but we also know that his strength and determination are without measure! You are a beautiful Mom with a beautiful boy...we are with you! Thanks for sharing your son and sending him into our world. We miss him
Big Hugs, and prayers from across town
Theresa